So I started responding to Amy's comment on the last post and it got so long I decided to just post it!
We're actually struggling with sibling rivalry for the first time since Jared's been born. Sam has always been so soft and sweet with Jared and we thought we were going to be lucky but I think that now Jared's moving around more, Sam perceives him as more of a "threat" (to his toys and mom and dad). We just had FHE on the subject tonight and told him that just because we spend time with Jared it doesn't mean we don't love him still, etc. As for the public discipline, I don't know how you can avoid a lot of it with a toddler. I can see it with a teenager when you can address things later in private. You can also address it later for a toddler but I think you have to address some of it before they get out of hand in public. However, I've heard that in customer relations, the advice they give to employees is that the more the customer's voice rises, the more yours should lower. So maybe just maintaining that calm.
I really don't have too many suggestions. I guess another thing is we started doing Mommy-Daddy time during Sundays. Since we only have two right now, we take turns and spend about 30 minutes alone with each of them so they get more alone time with each of us. Eventually when the kids are older, we want to do it so it's more of a priesthood interview with Ben at least every fast Sunday.
So those are the only suggestions I can give....remaining calm, show loving persuasion, time-outs, talking about it, and spending more alone time with them. But I'm probably not the best person for advice. Just when I think we've got something figured out, something changes (the child, the behavior, or whatever) and I realize we don't really know what we're doing at all! =)
Monday, June 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
sorry - i am way behind on reading blogs. but love all the pictures. hang in there with the tantrums. it's a hard thing, but eventually he'll grow out of it. i think you are doing the right thing though - just keep him busy and occupied. i'm such an advocate of schedules. looks like texas is great. can't wait to see more blogging on it.
My sister Lisa recommended the book "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood" by Jim and Charles Fay. I just finished it from the library and felt like I was able to learn some things and implement some things. One of the things they emphasize is handling the situation without losing control and letting the child think and learn to make wise choices. There are LOTS of books out there and sometimes it's nice to get ideas or pick a few ideas ala-carte. But this book is pretty short and to the point.
You're doing great and addressing the issues. Just thought I would share what Lisa shared with me.
I'm sorry that you're having problems with Sam and Jared, but I'm sure it's a phase that will pass quickly. I think it's amazing though that you can remain calm and rational...I really need to work on that!
By the way, I am now terrified of Moon Sand...please don't show it to Madison! Dan would have a heart attack, seriously.
Thanks, Jan! Good tips. Lots of struggles. Isn't parenthood interesting? I'm sure Heavenly Father feels the same way with us. I really do get frustrated with Emily because all day long she's taking advantage of Dallin. And he's starting to exhibit the same behavior a little bit. Yeah, I really don't know what I'm doing either. I'm just glad I'm not the only one and that others are experiencing this stuff too.
Hi Jan! Glad you found my blog so I could find yours! Sam and Jared sure are growing up. They are so adorable!! Hey and regarding the tantrums, rivalry, etc I think one of the best comforts is knowing that all of it is completely normal and an important, natural part of life. Sam and Jared are blessed to have a Mom and Dad with perspective and patience, who are willing to direct them even through difficulty. You are both doing the best thing you can be doing: relying on the perfect parent to teach you - a loving Heavenly Father.
Take care and thanks for the posts!
Our kids tend to be wonderful but our oldest, pretty much ever since our second was born, has mistreated her. Sometimes, she just doesn't know what she's doing and other times she does know. We've struggled with it and finally found that we just have to be patient and take Lily out of the room. The older child just wants attention so reacting loudly or removing the older child from the situation just gives them what they want - attention. Taking a proactive approach and keeping the child busy or otherwise entertained is a good solution, but tiring. Another solution is, as you said, to make sure each child gets individual "special" personal time.
Punishments are not effective because the child learns that punishing is okay (whether it's spanking or whatever) and will continue to hurt or bug or torment the younger child because the parent is modeling that behavior. Kids will grow out of it - it might take a few months or a few years. You can always hope that the younger child will grow up and be tougher than the older and dish it back. :)
Having many conversations about not hurting other people can be effective too. That takes time but eventually it will sink in. The other thing is to ignore as much of the behavior as you can (any time the older child is hurting the younger shouldn't be ignored but a lot of things can be ignored).
Sorry for the slightly rambling comment. These are just a few suggestions - I'm not a psychologist (yet).
Cute blog I'm glad you found mine now we can keep tabs on eachother
Well, it sounds like you are doing a lot of good things to help the situation! I am sure you will be blessed for your efforts! You are not alone! We miss you guys and can't wait for you to come back!
The other day we were out running errands and Jonathan asked me what a building was as we drove by it. I told him it was Sam's Club. He then replied, we can't go to Sam's mom, he is not there. I stood corrected. So, when you get back lets have a play date. J misses his friend Sam.
Post a Comment