Monday, April 07, 2008

Watch the ingredients!

So this weekend when I made sushi, I bought a few items at the ethnic food store, one of them being Sushi Ginger or pickled ginger. You eat it with sushi or, actually, between sushi pieces to cleanse your pallet. We also had wasabi and soy sauce and it was all yummy. Well, when I came home, I decided to read the ingredients while putting the items away and this is what I read:



WOW! Just a few days before making this, I had been reading a neighbor, Shari Goodman's blog, and she talks a lot about the ingredients and things that are in our foods and the importance of nutrition on our health. She also has some great, safe recipes that I obviously need to try! I knew that this weekend was not going to be a health-conscious one so I didn't check ingredients or anything when I bought this, but who would have thought that it could have been dangerous to our health! I ended up throwing the whole bottle away in the trash. I'll just have to make my own pickled ginger. It can't be that hard...ginger, water, vinegar, salt. It's kind of scary because when I'm in California, we eat sushi all the time. Now I'm going to steer away from the pickled ginger! And I'm going to be more careful about what I buy in the way of food...it's not just the ethnic foods. There are plenty of MSG and other ingredients that are horrible for us that are in other pre-packaged foods out there! Well, I'm learning....

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow! I was suprised at that label on the back. Thanks for the tips. Looks like you're staying busy and having fun with your family. I love reading your posts. Have a great week!

Amy said...

Oh my! That warning label is insane! I'm glad you read it before using it!